A day after Donald Trump appeared to want to defuse tensions, Iranian officials vowed revenge for the murder of a senior general. While pointing out that their previous missile attacks on American military bases were not meant to kill. Quoting The New York Times, Friday (1/10/2020), a day after Trump withdrew from further military conflict with Iran, a commander of the country’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said that the Mullah State would do so so quickly initiate “retaliation.” tougher “against the United States – for last week’s drone strike that killed a senior Iranian general.
Iranian Missile Strikes Two Military Bases In Iraq Housing US Troops
Another military leader said his country’s missile strikes against Americans in Iraq this week were not meant to kill anyone. The remarks are just part of the message made by Iranian leaders on Thursday January 9 after an Iranian missile strike, which hit two military bases in Iraq housing US troops. The death of General Qasem Soleimani, leader of the Quds Force, echoed across the country, prompting calls for revenge and retaliatory attacks from Iran.
On January 8, the missile attack did not kill a single American soldier and appeared to have caused little damage to the Assad and Erbil air bases, which are home to thousands of Iraqi and American soldiers and women. And although Tehran later said it had taken action. By assassinating General Qasem, officials in the region have warned that Iran must not maneuver and abandon its goal of driving the United States out of the Middle East.
On Thursday, according to the Iranian news agency Tasnim, the commander of the IRGC air force, Brigadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, described the attacks on bases in Iraq as the start of a “major operation” against the United States. But he also noted that the attack was not meant to kill anyone. This immediately followed claims that “dozens were killed and wounded”, a point debated by the US, Iraqi and other international media.
A senior IRGC commander, Abdollah Araghi, said Thursday that the Iranian military “will impose harsher retaliation against the enemy in the near future,” according to Tasnim. Iranian President Hassan Rouhani spoke on Thursday morning with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and warned of further action, according to the president’s office. “If the US makes another mistake it will receive a very dangerous response,” Rouhani said, according to the statement. IRGC Deputy General Ali Fadavi also vowed revenge, according to a separate report from the British version of Tasnim. Also according to Tasnim, the new leader of the Quds Force, Ismail Qaani, Qasem’s deputy general, released a statement Thursday outlining his commitment to moving forward with the agenda of his predecessors in the region. General Qaani added that his main objective is to drive American troops from the region.
“This step is a manifestation of our capability,” said General Fadavi in his speech in Isfahan province. No country has ever taken such a big step against the United States as we have. We fired dozens of missiles at the heart of the US base in Iraq and they couldn’t do anything, “Ali said. As the rhetoric of Iranian forces heated up, other international leaders wanted to defuse tensions. And many of Thursday’s statements appeared in stark contrast to those made by Iranian government officials the day before. Influential Iraqi Shia cleric Moktada al-Sadr urged the Iranian-backed militia group not to carry out further attacks, although he stressed that Iraq should continue to try to drive out foreign troops, Reuters reported.
Some analysts warned that there was still the possibility of further military action by Iran, despite the government’s pledge that retaliation was complete. Sanam Vakil, an Iranian scholar at Chatham House, a research center in London, said the likelihood of an attack remained high, noting that Iranian activity in recent months had “limited influence” in a long-running dispute. dating with the United States about punished sanctions. against the state. “More action and kinetic reaction is inevitable,” wrote Vakil in a series of Twitter posts outlining his perspective. The absence of an outright compromise between Iran and the United States to defuse tensions and the impasse over the Iran nuclear deal, which Trump abruptly withdrew last year, is another major complicating factor. “Without a clear escape route, the escalation is at a low level” due to missile attacks by proxy groups, cyber attacks and Gulf navigation threats “will no doubt continue in the coming months, if not through US elections,” he added.